Speedpass in A3 VW Gas Cap
Speedpass in Gas Cap mod
My key ring is big enough without sticking a Speedpass onto it, so I epoxied
it into the gas cap of my '98 GTI VR6.
Quite simple, really, but here are some hints:
It's such a simple hack, but I get a smile every time I
- Buy a gas cap from your VW dealer parts man. They cost under $10.,
the epoxy will take a day or two to cure, and you don't want to be driving
around with the cap off.
- Get a Unibit to drill the hole: they do a beautiful job of drilling
plastic...regular drill bits tend to 'grab' and 'hog'.
- Rough up the Speedpass and gas can with fine sandpaper where the epoxy
will be to help it grab the plastic (which is naturally slippery)
- I tried silicone seal to secure it, but it didn't really hold....and there
can be pressure/vacuum, so it should be glued solidly. Two part epoxy is
- If your car doesn't have the gas cap locking setup, consider putting it